Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Baking for Equinox

For our Après-Dîner Equinox Party I baked for 2 days. Boy did my feet ache at the end of each day! My sampling here & there through the course of 2 days helped ease the pain though ;)

I baked 3 dozen carrot cupcakes from Martha Stewart's 2003 'Everyday Food' magazine - issue #3. I used my palm peeler on the vibrant-caution-neon carrots and sliced into our freshly picked oranges. The aroma was irresistable! I made some cupcakes bite-size and some a-heaping-cupcake size. The coconut sprinkles added texture - a little 'crunch' to it.
I also baked Mochiko - a Filipino cake using mochiko flour. My Mother's recipe is slightly different than the recipie I found here. We haven't added sour cream and only on a few occasions has my Mom added coconut milk. I prefer just sugar, eggs, butter & milk. The absolute piece de resistance or the matamis part of Mochiko is...wait, that's revealing my secrets ;)
That morning, with just enough eggs, I decided to make Leche Flan (my recipe is similar.) So matamis & smooth! Yum! My Mom gave me all of her copper molds and yet I rely on just one. This one mold has never failed me. Since I was a young teenager, it has helped me create a beautiful leche flan.
For a few days after our Equniox Party we had un-frosted carrot cupcakes for breakfast (ok, so a few of mine had frosting) and I snacked on Mochiko while Dan & the girls were gone during the day. :)

7 comments:

mudderhouz said...

Yummy, yummy, I can't say this enough, boy did I miss out.

a friend to knit with said...

oh my gosh, this is making me hungry!

Mary Beth said...

Mmm. Look's great!

Wendy said...

Oh Yum! Looks fantastic.

(And by the way, yes, my friend's cousin is Tony Melendez.)

Anonymous said...

Oh my GOODNESS!!! Too wonderful!!!! The baking, all of it, sounds delicious!!!

a friend to knit with said...

yep, still hungry looking at these photos..........
go ahead, cut something......you can always sew it back together! :)

Melissa! said...

Wendy, I can't find your email - how can that be? Didn't I email you first?
My family & I saw Tony Melendez when he was in town years ago - his voice & musicianship is mesmerizing. His music filled that entire church and uplifted my soul - it was a magical night. We also purchased 2 of his cds - so beautiful!
~Melissa!